Keep Your Fitness Resolution: Choose A Gym that’s Right for You
If your New Year’s resolution is a commitment to better health, a gym membership might be in your future. The key is picking the right health club for you. Here are tips to consider before you sign on the dotted line.
- Convenience. It’s easy to talk yourself out of a trip to the gym if you must drive a half-hour to get there. Find a gym that’s close either to work or to home. And make sure it’s open during the hours and days of the week you prefer.
- Cost. How much you pay for a membership is not always simple. Low-cost gyms sometimes equal lengthy waits for machines and full classes. Is there an initiation fee? Is there a lower fee for a daytime membership? Does your employer underwrite part of the cost as part of its wellness program? Do special features and classes cost extra? Ask questions!
- Current members. If friends frequent the gym you choose, your chances of spending time there increase. At the very least, you’ll want to feel comfortable among the others using your gym.
- Maintenance. Take a thorough tour before joining and pay close attention to cleanliness and equipment maintenance.
- Features. Don’t assume all gyms offer a similar experience. Educate yourself about the classes and types of equipment available, not to mention details such as child-care services, lockers, towel service and such.
Attend to the details now, and you can focus on getting in shape when it’s time to put your resolutions into action.